|Department of Botany
Looking around the modern building of the Botany Department, one may not realize that the history of the department stretches back over three quarters of a century. Established in 1924, it is the oldest seat of learning in the country. Originally, it was housed in the premises of Government College, Lahore, and M.Sc. teaching was conducted in collaboration with the staff of the College. The department moved to the Quaid-e-Azam campus in 1963 and was housed in various buildings until its present building was constructed in 1973. In the past 27 years, the department has developed a very elaborate program of teaching and research for M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees. The department has now initiated, regular courses leading to M. Phil/Ph.D. degrees.
Last Three Year Articles
Year: Upto June,
Yousaf, N. Niaza, A.R. Khalid, A.N,; New records of note worthy Gasteroid fungi from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 119, 2012
N.S. Afshan, An.N. Khalid , A.R.Riazi,; Three new Caeoma spp. On Rosaceae from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 120, 2012
Sana Jabeen, Sobia Ilyas, Abdul Rehman, Khan Niazai, Abdul Nasir Khalid,; Diversity of Ectomycorrhizae Associated with populus Spp., Growing in two different ecological zones of Pakistan, International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 16, 2012
Dr. Najam-ul-Sehar Afshan,; New anamorphic rust fungi on Rosa spp. from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 120, 2012
Umer Shafique, Amara Dar,; Forced migration of soluble and suspended materials by freezing front in aqueous systems, Journal of Hydro-environment Research, 6, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Toxic and nutritive elements analysis of commercially available tea samples of Pakistan by ICP-OES employing microwave digestion, Electronic Journal of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 11, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Removal of arsenic from water using pine leaves, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 43, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Micro-determination of arsenic in aqueous samples by image scanning and computational quantification, Analytical Methods, 4, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Comparative removal of congo red dye from water by adsorption on Grewia asiatica leaves, Raphanus sativus peels and activated charcoal, Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan, 34, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Lawrencepur sand- A highly efficient adsorbent for the removal of Cr(VI) from waste water, Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan, 34, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Comparative thermal and catalytic recycling of low density polyethylene into diesel-like oil using different commercial catalysts, Electronic Journal of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 11, 2012
Umer Shafique,; Microwave assisted synthesis of esterquat for fabric softening applications, Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan, 34, 2012
Muhammad Younis ,; Ternary Three Point Non-Stationary Subdivision Scheme, Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 4(13), 2012
M. Asim Zafar,; A New Family of Binary 5-point Approximating Non-Stationary Subdivision scheme, Archives des Sciences, 5(5), 2012
M. Asim Zafar,; Certain H-Subsets of under the action, Pakistan Journal of Science, 4(1), 2012
Asma Butt Afshan Khan
Zeeshan Iqbal, Evelyne wallear-Nasir, Muhammad Saleem Abdul Rauf, Shakuri and Nasir-ud-Din
,; Functional Regulation of DNA Binding of FOXO1 by Post Translational Modifications: In silico Study , Pak. J. Zoology , 43(6): 1167-1175, 2012
M. Ilyas, Saleem Haider
Shah Jahan Baig and
,; Isolation and Characterization and Identification of Lactic Acid Bacteria from Fruit Juices and their efficacy Against Antibiotics, Pak. J. Botany , 44:323-328, 2012
Z. A. Sajid and
,; Role of Salicylic acid in amelioration of salt tolerance in Solanum tuberosum L. , Pak. J. Botany , 44 (Pg.37-42)
Special Issue, 2012
Akram M. and
,; Efficient micropropagation and rooting of King white mullberg (Morus macroura Mig) var. Lavigata from nodal explants of mature trees. , Pak. J. Botany, 44 (Pg.285-289)
Special Issue, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; Additions to ectomycorrhizae associated with Himalayan Cedar using rDNA-ITS, International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 14, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; Trichoderma flammula Metrod Ex Holec (Basidiomycota, Agaricales), an addition to mushroom flora of Pakistan based on molecular identification, Pakistan Journal of Botany, 44(SI), 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; Hyalopsora nodispora is the new holomorph name for Uredo capilli-veneris (Uredinales, Pucciniastraceae) from Pakistan, Mycological Progress, 11(2), 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; New Records of Note worthy Gasteroid fungi from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 119, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; Quelitia mirabilis, a rare gasteroid species in Gran Canaria, Spain, Mycotaxon, 119, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; New records of Pezizales from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 119, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; Three new Caeoma spp. on Rosaceae from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 120, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid ,; Peziza michelii and its ectomycorrhizae with Alnus nitida (Betulaceae) from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 120, 2012
Humera Afrasiab and
,; Genetic analysis of somaclonal variants and induced mutants of potato (solanum tuberosum L) cv. Diamant using RAPD markers. , Pak. J. Botany, 44(1), 2012
,; New Records of Note worthy Gasteroid fungi from Pakistan , Mycotaxon, 119, 2012
A.N. Khalid & A.R. Niazi.
,; Three new Caeoma spp. On Rosaceae from Pakistan , Mycotaxon, 120, 2012
Abdul Rehman Khan Niazi,
Abdul Nasir Khalid
,; Diversity of Ectomycorrhizae Associated with Populus spp., Growing in Two Different Ecological Zones of Pakistan , International Journal of Agriculture and Biology , 15, 2012
Muhammad Idrees,; Computational identification of interplay between phosphorylation and O-?-glycosylation of human occludin as potential mechanism to impair hepatitis C virus entry., Infection Genetics Evalution., 2012, 12(6):1235-45., 2012
Muhammad Idrees,; Hepatitis E Virus Associated Aplastic Anemia: First case of its kind. , Journal of Clinical Virology, 2012; 54(1): 96-7, 2012
Muhammad Idrees,; Computational identification and modeling of crosstalk between phosphorylation, O-beta-glycosylation and methylation of FoxO3 and implications for cancer therapeutics. , International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2012; 13(3), 2918-2938, 2012
Muhammad Idrees,; Association of Hepatitis C Virus With Insulin Resistance: Evidences From Animal Studies and Clinical Studies. , Hepatitis Monthly, 2012; 12(1): 11-15, 2012
Muhammad Idrees,; Dengue Virus Serotype 2 (DEN-2): the Causative Agent of 2011-Dengue Epidemic in Pakistan. , American Journal of Biomed Sciences, 2012; in press, 2012
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; Diversity of Boletales in Pakistan, Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products 4-7, October, 2011, Arcachon, France, 1, 2011
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; New records of poaceous rusts from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 118, 2011
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; New records of Puccinia species on Poaceae from Pakistan, Mycotaxon, 118, 2011
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; Some additions to the Uredinales of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJ & K), Pakistan., Pakistan Journal of Botany, 43(2), 2011
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; Puccinia cortusae (Basidiomycota; Uredinales) on Cortusabrotheri (Primulaceae), new to Southern Asia (Fairy Meadows, Pakistan)., Mycotaxon, 117, 2011
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; New records of rust fungi on Sedges (Cyperaceae) from Pakistan., Mycotaxon, 117, 2011
Dr. Abdul Nasir Khalid,; Species of the genus Uromyces (Link) Unger (Basidiomycota, Pucciniales) from Leepa Valley, Azad Jammu & Kashmir (AJ& K) Pakistan. , African Journal of Biotechnology, 10, 2011
Ms. Farkhanda Jabeen,; Land Evaluation / Classification of choice of trees species on farm lands in District Attock, Punjab, Pakistan, Stud. China, 13(4), 2011
Ms. Farkhanda Jabeen,; Effect of Nitrogen and Phosphorous on Farm Plantations in various Agroeclogical zones of Punjab, Pakistan , African Journal of Environmental Science & Technology, 5(11), 2011
Prof. Dr. Khan Rass Masood,; The Hudiara drain wastewater effect on the distribution of surrounding herbaceous vegetation. , Pak.J.Bot, 42 No.3, 2010
Prof. Dr. Khan Rass Masood,; Response of Eucalyptus Camaldulensis to irrigation with the Hudiara drain effluent., Int.,J.Phytoremediation, 12 No.4, 2010
Prof. Dr. Firdaus-e-Bareen,; Metal Decontamination of tannery solid waste using tagets patula in association with sapsobic and mycouhizal funge, The Environmentalist, 30, 2010
Prof. Dr. Firdaus-e-Bareen,; Efficiency of seven cultivated plant soil & sediment species for phytoexhaction of toxic contramination metals from tanmery efluent contramination soil using EDTA, Soil & Seiment Contramination, 19, 2010
Dr. Humera Afrasiab,; In vitro techniques and mutagenesis for the genetic improvement of potato (Solanum tuberosum L) cvs. Desiree and Diamant., , 42(3), 2010
Ms. Ambreen Ahmed,; Auxin-producing Bacillus sp.: Auxin quantification and effect on the grwoth of Solanum tuberosum, Pure and Applied Chemistry,, 82(1), 2010
• Qureshi, K.A., Ghazi, S., Butt A.A Ahmed, N. and Masood, K.R. (2007). The lower Trassic (Scythian) carbonate schelf deposition, Kala Chitta Range, Pakistan, Cont. Geology 41-64.
• Qureshi, K.A., Ghazi, S., Butt A.A Ahmed, N. and Masood, K.R. (2007). Microfacies analysis the environmental Pattern of the Chhidru Formatio, Kala Chitta Range, Pakistan, Geological Bult. University of the Punjab, Lahore 42: 53-59.
• Nazir, A. and Firdaus-e-Bareen ( 2008). Phytoextraction of heavy metals from tannery solid waste amended soil using Spinacia oleracea L. and associated rhizosphere fungi. In: Proceedings of the 1 st International Seminar on Medicinal Plants, Isolation and Applications (ISMP-2008) held in May 21-23, 2008 (Naeem, I. ed.) 92-100 pp.
• Arshad M. and Firdaus-e-Bareen . (2008). Colonization pattern of aquatic hyphomycetes on persistent substrata in some irrigation channels of Lahore. Mycopath 5: 65-70.
• Khilji S. and Firdaus-e-Bareen . ( 2008). Rhizofiltration of heavy metals from the tannery sludge by the anchored hydrophyte , Hydrocotyle umbellata L. African Journal of Biotechnology 7: 3714-3720.
• Nazir, A. and Firdaus-e-Bareen . ( 2008). Role of Helianthus annuus L. and associated rhizosphere fungi in uptake of heavy metals from tannery solid waste amended soil. Pakistan Journal of Phytopathology , 20: 88-97.
• Firdaus-e-Bareen and Khilji, S. (2008). Bioaccumulation of metals from tannery sludge by Typha angustifolia L . African Journal of Biotechnology 7: 3314-3320
• Nazir, A. and Firdaus-e-Bareen . ( 2008). Tannery waste: a potential environmental risk. In: Proceedings of the 1 st International Conference on Role of Chemistry for Environmental Preservation (RCEP 2008) held on June 14, 2008. (Hussain, M.ed.) pp 38-43
• Khilji, S. and Firdaus-e-Bareen . ( 2008). Bioremediation potential of two hydrophytes for cleaning the toxic tannery sludge. In: Proceedings of the 1 st International Conference on Role of Chemistry for Environmental Preservation (RCEP 2008) held on June 14, 2008. (Hussain, M. ed.) 71-78 pp.
• Chaudhary, N. Y. and Khan A. S. (2007) Role of mercury and exogenous IAA on xylem vessels and sieve elements in Cucumus sativus . L Pak.J.Bot., 39 (1):135-149
• Awais, M., Pervez, A. and Saleem , M.(2008) Effects of glucose, incubation period and pH on the production of peptide antibiotics by Bacillus pumilus. Afrian Journal of Microbiology Research., 2 :114-119
• Kaleem, A., Ahmad, I., Hoessli, D. C., Walker-Nasir, E., Saleem, M., Shakoori, A. R. and Nasir-ud-Din. (2008). Epidermal growth factor Receptors: Function modulation by phophorylation and Glycosylation interplay . Molecular Biology Reports . DOI 10.1007/s11033-008-9223-6.
• Ahmed, I., Ahmed, W., Walker-Nasir, E., Saleem, M., Shakoori, A. R. and Nasir-ud-Din. (2007). Histone H1 Sub-types in Mouse: Interplay between phosporylation and O-glycosylation . Pakistan J. Zool ., 39 :245-57.
• Walker-Nasir, E., Ahmad, I., Saleem, M. and Nasirud-Din. (2007). Glycosyltransferase and Glypiation Inhibitors. Curr. Org. Chem . 11 :591-607.
• .Kaleem, A., Khan, T. S., Ahmed, W., Saleem, M., Khawaja, A. R., Hussain, S. A. Abdul Rauf Shakoori., A. R. and Nasir ud din. (2007). Post-transtaltional modifications of Non-histone high mobility group nucleosomal proteins. Pakistan J. Zool ., 39 (1):57-64.
• Ghafoor, M., Baig, S., Pervaz, A. and Saleem, M. (2008). Production and characterization of keratinase enzyme by Bacillus sp. growing on Chicken Feathers. Pakistan Journal of Zoology, (read in Zoological Conference)
• Ghafoor, M., Baig, S..Pervaz, A. and Saleem, M. (2008). Degradation of Chicken Feathers by using Bacillus strain isolated from natural environments under submerged fermentation culture , Pakistan Journal of Zoology . (read in Zoological conference).
• Arif, R., Pervaz, A. and. Saleem , M. (2008). Production of Alkaline Protease from Bacillus species using Poultry feed waste as a substrate , Pakistan Journal of Zoology (read in Zoological conference).
• Ak ram, M., Afrasiab, H., Mahmood, S., and Aftab, F . (2007). Monoterpene contents in in vitro cultures and field-grown plants of Japanese mint ( Mentha arvensis L). Pak. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. ,
• Akram, M and Aftab, F . 2007. In vitro micropropagation and rhizogenesis of teak ( T ectona grandis L.). Pak. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol., 40 (3):125-128.
• Aftab, F and Preece, J. E. (2007). Forcing and in vitro establishment of softwood shoots from large stem segments of woody plants. In: Biotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture 2006 and Beyond, Z. Xu et al. (eds.), Springer, 437-444.
• Tabassum, S., Aftab, F and Shoaib, K. (2007). Changes in protein profile under noise stress in Antranum ( Antirrhinum majus L . ), Gram ( Cicer arietinum L . ) and Zinnia ( Zinnia elegens Jaeq . ). Pak. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol ., 40 (4):189-191.
• Aftab, F and Adeeb, T. (2007). In vitro micropropagation and callus induction in rose ( Rosa hybrida cv. Cardinal). Pak. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol ., 40 (4):215-222.
• Sajid, Z. A. and Aftab, F . (2007). Protein and peroxidase contents in in vitro cultures of Solanum tuberosum L under NaCl stress. Pak. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol ., 40 (4): 227-232 .
• Akram, M and Aftab, F . (2008). High frequency multiple shoot formation from nodal explants of teak ( Tectona grandis ) induced by thidiazuron. Propagation of Ornamental Plants , 8 (2):72-75.
• Aftab, F., Alam, M and Afrasiab, H. (2008). In vitro shoot multiplication and callus induction in Gladiolus hybridus Hort. Pak. J. Bot., 40 (2):517-522.
• Aftab, F ., Akram, S and Iqbal J. (2008). Estimation of fixed oils from various explants and in vitro callus cultures of jojoba ( Simmondsia chinensis ). Pak. J. Bot ., 40 (4):1467-1471.
• Iqbal, S. H., Khalid, A. N., Afshan, N. S. and Niazi A. R., (2008). Rust Fungi on Saccharum species from Pakistan. Mycotaxon , 106: 219-226.
• Sultan, M. A., Haq, I., Khalid, A. N. and Mukhtar, H. (2008). Two new anamorphic rust fungi from northern areas of Pakistan, Mycotaxon , 105: 23-27.
• Afshan, N. S., Khalid, A. N. and Niazi A. R. (2008) New records and distribution of Rust fungi from Pakistan. Mycotaxon , 105 : 257-267.
• Afshan, N. S., Khalid, A. N. and Javed, H., (2008). Further additions to the Rust Flora of Pakistan. Pak. J. Bot . 40 (3):1285-1289.
• Afshan, N. S., Khalid, A. N. and Niazi, A. R., (2008). New records of Graminicolous Rust Fungi from Pakistan. Pak. J. Bot . 40 (3):1279-1283.
• Afshan N. S., Berndt, R., Khalid A. N . and Niazi A. R. (2008). New graminicolous rust fungi from Pakistan. Mycotaxon , 104 : 123–130.
• Afshan, N. S. and Khalid, A. N. (2008) New Rust Fungi on noxious Weeds from Pakistan. Pak. J. Phytopathol . 20 (1): 82-87.
• Niazi A. R., Khalid A. N. and Iqbal S. H. (2007) Descolea flavoannulata and its ectomycorrhiza from Pakistan's Himalayan moist temperate forests . Mycotaxon , 101 : 375-383.
• Afshan N. S., Khalid A. N., Abbasi M. and Niazi A. R., (2007) New records of Rust fungi for Pakistan. Mycotaxon , 101: 233-237.
• Sultan M. A., Cvetemore, D., Haq, I. and Khalid, A. N. (2007). A new record of Bauhinus piperi (Microbotryales) from Pakistan. Mycotaxon . 100 :1031- 1035.
• Lodhi, E. M. Khalid, A. N and. Niazi, A. R. (2007). Mycoflora of senescing leaves of ornamental plants. I. New Fungal records on some monocots for Pakistan. Pak. J. Bot. 39 (3):881-885.
• Vánky, K.,. Iqbal, S. H and Khalid, A. N. (2007) . Thecaphora pakistanica sp. nov. (Ustilaginomycetes) on Androsace (Primulaceae). Mycologia Balcanica. 4 :92-95.
• Ahmed, A., Sabri, A. N. and Hasnain, S. (2008). Effect of varying temperature on growth, morphology and soluble protein content of div IV and div V mutant strains of Bacillus subtilis. African Journal of Biotechnology . 7 (10):1505-1511 .
• Two new PhD students, Ms. Naveeda Batool d/o Mr Gulzar Ahmed and Ms Rabia Arif d/o Mr Muhammad Arif were enrolled in the year 2008.