CIMR is committed to a national as well as international shared vision of prosperity and sustainable livelihood prospects of the mountain communities. Committed to improve quality of life and equity that is socially and culturally acceptable, economically viable and environmentally sustainable.
Mission of CIMR is to provide a critical understanding and awareness of mountain and mountainous areas that constitute 58% of national territory, applying conservation and management techniques by discussing the socio-economic, political, cultural and organizational issues within which management decisions are made. For achieving this mission, committed to acquire cooperation with local, national, regional, and international agencies, which could help to enhance and strengthen change for empowerment of the mountain communities.
|Major objectives of the Centre are to serve as:-
|A documentation Centre on integrated mountain research and development based on systematic exchange of knowledge and experiences;
|Focal point for mobilization, conduct, and coordination of applied and problem-solving community- oriented integrated research;
|An innovative base for training on skills applicable in integrated mountain research and development;
|A consultative Centre to provide expert services on integrated mountain research and development.
|A forum for specific attention to highlands- lowlands interaction zones and ultimately extending to Plain areas.
|To meet these challenges, the framework of CIMR is organized into five thematic research and development divisions:
|Mountain Resource Division (MRD)
|Resource Development Division (RDD)
|Resource Management Division (RMD)
|Project Planning Division (PPD)
|Documentation Division (DD)
Last Three Year Articles
Khalida Khan and Abdul Jalil,; Identification and quantification of the source terms for sodium, calcium and fluoride ions in soils and surface water of sil river watershed, Science, technolog and development a quarterly journal by the pakistan council for science and technology (PCST), 33(2), 2014
Khalida Khan and Abdul Jalil,; Comparing different approaches to assess environmental vulnerability, Sci., Tech., Dev., 32(4), 2014
Khalida Khan, M. Naeem 2011,; Source determination and ecological effects of Particulate matter Zone-1, Punjab Pakistan, accepted ECAR 2012, , 2012
Rabiz F., Khalida., Ch Ashraf, Rabia Faridi (2011),; Climate change effects on Hunza lake and Geomorphologic Status of Hunza River Basin, Gilgit Bilstant, Pakistan, Submitted to HEC & Texas State university USA, , 2012
Rabiz F., Khalida., Ch Ashraf, Rabia Faridi (2011),; Oncogenic Potential of HPV and its relation to cervical Cancer, Submitted to Irology Journal, , 2012
Dr. Khalida Khan & Miss Nilofar,; Common Bacterial Etiolgical Agents of Suppurative Otitis Media and Their sensitivity Pattern Against Different Antibiotics in Human Population of Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan, Submitted to Pakistan Journal of Zoology, , 2012
Dr. Khalida Khan & Miss Nilofar,; Assessment of Forest Disturbances by Human Activities in Mountainous valley of Naltar, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan, Submitted to Nature, , 2012
Dr. Khalida Khan & Miss Nilofar,; Individual Indentification of Snowleopard (Panthera Uncia) by Fecal Genotyping in Soqterabad Nullah (Valley) Gilgit Baltistan Pakistan, Submitted to Pakistan Journal of Zoology, , 2012
Dr. Khalida Khan & Miss Nilofar,; DNA Testing and GPS Positioning of Snow leopard (Panthera Unica) Genetic material in the Khunjerab national Park (KNP) Northern Areas, Submitted to Pakistan Journal of Zoology, , 2012
Dr. Khalida Khan & Miss Nilofar,; Tourism Down fall: Sectarian Clashes a major factor in Gilgit Pakistan, Submitted to An International Journal of South Asian Study, , 2012
Khalida Khan, M. Naeem, 2011,,; “Source determination and ecological effects of particulate matter, Zone-1, Punjab Pakistan” , Accepted ECAR 2012 - , , 2011
Khan Khalida, Ch Ashraf, Rabia Faridi(2011),; “ Climate Change Effects on Hunza Lake and Geomorphologic Status of Hunza River Basin, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan, , ILEC & Texas State University, USA., , 2011
Rabia F., Amreen Z, Adress K., Khan Khalida (2011),; “Oncogenic Potential of HPV and its relation to cervical cancer”, Virology .Journal, , 2011
Dr Khalida Khan and Miss Nilofar,; Common Bacterial Etiological Agents of Suppurative Otitis Media And Their Sensitivity Pattern Against Different Antibiotics in Human Population of Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan., Pakistan Journal of Zoology, , 2011
Dr Khalida Khan and Miss Nilofar,; Assessment of Forest and Forest Disturbances by Human activities in Mountainous valley of Naltar, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan, Khalida Khan and Nilofar Ali, submitted to Journal of Mountain Science, springer, , 2011
Dr Khalida Khan and Miss Nilofar,; Individual Identification of Snowleopard (Panthera Uncia) by Fecal Genotyping in Soqterabad Nullah (Valley) Gilgit-Baltistan Pakistan., Pakistan Journal of Zoology , , 2011
Dr Khalida Khan and Miss Nilofar,; ""DNA Testing and GPS Positioning of Snow leopard (Panthera Uncia) Genetic Material in the Khunjerab National Park (KNP), Northern Areas, Pakistan" submitted to Pakistan Journal of Zoology, Pakistan Journal of Zoology, , 2011
Dr Khalida Khan & Miss Nilofar,; Impacts of Sectarian Clashes and Terrorism on Tourism Sector in Gilgit Baltistan Pakistan, in the last decades-Threats to future sustainable tourism, Tourism Management & Development, , 2011
Research Papers (last two years 2015 and 2016)
Research Thesis (last two years 2015 and 2016)
- Basit, E. M. A. Qureshi, K. Khan, R. Ullah and M. Ghous, 2015, An Assessment of the Prevalence of Household Food Insecurity un Pre-School Children in Various Income Levels in Rural Areas of Punjab, Pakistan, Pakistan Journal of Science Vol.66
- M.Ghous and Khalida Khan and Abdul Basit, 2015, An assessment of household coping response of the vulnerable population of flood affected areas of Kot Addu, District Muzaffargarh, Sci.Int.(Lahore), 27(2),1373-1380, 2015 ISSN 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- M. Ghous, K. Khalida, A. Basit, J. Hassan, 2015. Temporal Analysis of Urbanization and Resulting Local Weather Change: A Case Study of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Sci.Int.(Lahore),27(2), 1281-1287,2015 ISSN 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Akif Rahim, Khalida Khan, Amina Akif , Rehana Jamal, 2015, The Geo-statistical approach to assess the groundwater draught by using Standardized Water level Index (SWI) and Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) in the Peshawar Region of Pakistan Sci.Int.(Lahore),27(5),4111-4117,2015 ISSN 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Khan, K., Yaseen, M., Latif, Y., and Nabi, G., (2015): Detection of river flow trends and variability analysis of Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan. Sci.Int.(Lahore), 27(2), 1261-1270.
- Yaseen, M., Khan, K., Nabi, G., Bhatti, H. A. and Afzal, M.; (2015): Hydrological trends and variability in the Mangla watershed, Pakistan. Sci.Int. (Lahore), 27(2),1327-1335
- Khan, K.,Yaseen, M., Nabi, N., (2015) Impact of Altitudinal Variability on Stream-flows in Mountainous Catchments Under Changing Climate (Upper Indus Basin) Himalayas-Pakistan, Submitted American Journal of Water Resources USA.
- Akif Rahim Khalida Khan , Rehana Jamal , Nadeem Tariq, Amina Akif 2015, The spatio and temporal variations in the ground water potential due to urbanization in the Peshawar Region of Pakistan Sci.Int.(Lahore),27(3),2225-2233,2015 ISSN 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Saira Batool, Khalida Khan 2015, Forest change detection and its impact on rainfall pattern in Thak Valley, Pakistan, Pakistan Journal of Science, Vol.66, No. 4
- Fakhra Shahmim Khalida Khan, Habib-ur Rehman Athar and Abdul waheed, 2015 Pritection of photosynthetic machinery by up-regulation of anti-oxidant enzymes in contrasting tomato genotypes under water stress, Pakistan Pak. J. Bot., Vol. 47 (7), Pp. 1231-1239, ISSN, 2070-3368.
- Khan. Khalida, N. Chaudhary, S. Khan and S.R. Ahmad 2014, Assessment of diverse geo-environmental parameters for mitigation of an Upper catchment of Jhelum River Basin, NW Himalayas, Pakistan, Pakistan Journal of Science, Vol.66 No. 4, Pp. 731-739
- Khan, K. And Jalil, A. 2014. Identification and Quantification of the Source terms for, Sodium Calcium, and Fluoride ions in Soils & surface waters of Sil River Watershed, Sci., Tech. & Dev., journal by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology 33 (2): 68-76 HEC Approved
- Fakhra Shahmim Khalida Khan and Sana Khalid, 2015 Multivariate analysis of eleven genotypes of tomato at seeding stage under draught imposed by polyethylene glycol Science International (Lahore), Vol. 27 (5) pp 4359-4368, ISSN 1013-5316; CODEN:SINTE 8, added
- Fakhra Shamim, Khalida Khan, and Sana Khalid, 2015, Descriptive statistic and frequency distribution of one hundred and twenty tomato geotpes under PEG8000 to assess draught tolerance potential, Science International (Lahore), 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Sana Khalid, Fakhra Shamim, Zainab Mahboob, Khalida Khan, And Sumera Javed, 2015, Pharmacological analysis of different varieties of rice (Oryza sativa Linn.), Science International (Lahore), ISSN: 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Boota, M. W., Nabi, G., Abbas, T., Hussain, F., Yaseen, M. (2015). An appraisal of statistically approaches for estimation of probable maximum precipitation in highland climatic zone of Pakistan. Sci.Int.(Lahore),27(3),1993-1998.
- Afzal, M., Zakaullah, Yaseen, M., S. Mahmood, M. S. and Khan, M. A. (2015). Estimation of potential rainfall recharge in the Pothwar area. Technical Journal, University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Taxila, Pakistan Vol. 20 No. II.
- Khan, K., Yaseen, M., Afzal, M. and Zaman, Q. (2015): Appraisal of air bubbles discharge measurement technique for different nozzle sizes. Submitted in Science International Lahore.
- Fakhra Shamim, Khalida Khan, and Sana Khalid, 2016, Comparison among 12 exotic accessions of tomato (Solanum lycpersicum L.) for root and shoot development under polyethylene glycol induced water stress, Pakistan Journal of Phyto-pathology, 28 (1), ISSN 1019-763X
- Sana Khalid, Fakhra Shamim, Sidra Bibi, Sumera Javed and Khalida Khan, 2016, Evaluation of antimicrobial potential of female cones and needles of chir pine (Pinus roxburghii Sarg.). Pakistan Journal of Phyto-pathology, Vol. 28 (!), ISSN 1019-763X
- Sana Khalid, Fakhra Shamim, Zainab Mahboob, Khalida Khan, And Sumera Javed, 2015, Pharmacological analysis of different varieties of rice (Oryza sativa Linn.), Science International (Lahore), ISSN: 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Sana Khalid, Fakhra Shamim, Khalida Khan, Alvina Aslam And Ansa Ashraf, 2016, Isolation and amplification of bacteria from Solanaceous crops; tomato fruit and potato, Science International (Lahore), 1013-5316; CODEN: SINTE 8
- Muhammad Yaseen, Khalida Khan, Abdul sattar Shakir, Ghulam Nabi, Habib ur Rehman, 2016, Climate Change and Hydro-climatic Variability in Mangla Watershed, Upper Indus" KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer Journals) IF 0.511
- Amina Akif, Khalida Khan , Akif Rahim, 2016, The preliminary assessment of hydrological alternation in the Mangla watershed of Pakistan, Sci. Int.(Lahore),, (3), 2621-2628
- Sana Khalid, Fakhra Shamim, Khalida Khan, Alvina Aslam And Ansa Ashraf, 2016, Isolation and amplification of bacteria from Solanaceous crops; tomato fruit and potato, Science International (Lahore), 1013-5316;
- Jamal,R., Ahmad, S.R., Khan, K.(2016) Integrated Terrain Analysis of Southern Haripur Tehsil using techniques of Geographical Information System in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan, Journal of Pakistan Association for Advancement of Science (JPAAS), HEC Recognized
- Jamal,R., Ahmad, S.R., Khan, K.(2016) GIS-based Watershed Delineation in Haripur District and Southern Haripur Tehsil Khyber Pakhtun Khwa Province, Pakistan, Journal of Pakistan Association for Advancement of Science (PAAS), HEC Recognized
- Yasir Latif, Ma Yaoming and Muhammad Yaseen. (2016): Spatial analysis of precipitation time series over the Upper Indus Basin. Theoretical and Applied Climatology
- Isolation and Characterization of Bacterial Strains Isolated from Mountainous Areas of Pakistan and Their Impact on Crop Production
- Community-Based Ecotourism as a tool for Livelihood Enhancement in Hunza-Nagar: a case study of Passu Gojal
- Impact of Tourism on the Economic development of Hunza, Gilgit-Baltistan
- Hydro-Climatic Variability and Climate Change Acceleration in Mountainous Catchments (A case study of upper Indus Basin)
- Flood Forecasting by Using Hydrological Models for the Poonch River, Mangla Watershed
- An appraisal the Impact of altitudinal variability on climate and geology (A Comparative study of Saudia Arabia and Pakistan)”
- Spatial variations in low flows of Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan
- evaluation of suitable design flood frequency method using statistical approaches for the mountainous catchments (a case study of Upper Indus Basin)
- Physiochemical Properties of Soil, Its Potential and Sustainable Land use Management of Danyoure Valley Gilgit-Baltistan
- Identification of Trekking Routes, Tourist Points and Promotion of Family Tourism. (A Case study of Chitral).
- Recent trends in observed temperature and precipitation extremes in the Mangla Basin, Upper Indus
- An Appraisal of Water yield for the Mountainous Catchments (A Case Study of Indus Basin)
- Potential of Soil Fertility on Barren Land in D.I. Khan
- Evaluation and Bias Correction of Satellite Rainfall Data for Flood Forecasting in Mountainous Catchments (A case study of Pooch Basin)
- Ecotourism a tool to revitalizing socio ecological production landscapes towards creating resilient and sustainable societies in Kachura Valley Skardu
- Traditional uses of Medicinal Plants and its impacts on Seocio-Economic Wellbeing of Mountain Communities – A Case study of Rattu Valley, District Astore.
- Traditional uses of Medicinal Plants and Its Impacts on Socio-Economic Wellbeing of Mountain Communities – A Case Study of Minimerg Valley, District Astore.
- Impact of Spatial and Temporal Variability on Landuse and Sustainable Development in Gilgit-Baltistan
- Land Suitability Assessment for Maize and Wheat Crops in Ghizer
- Study of biodiversity of Khunjerab National Park, Gilgit Baltistan and its impact on local community
- Land suitability of olives in Barani agriculture Chakwal
- Assessment of soil for Wheat Crop in Khushab district
- Land suitability assessment for grapes orchards in Barani agriculture Chakwal
- Role of indigenous community of promoting ecotourism in Kallar Kahar
- Estimation of snow-covered area of subbasins in Upper Indus Basin Pakistan using remote sensing and GIS techniques
- Estimation of soil types in mountainous catchments of Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan
- Estimation of landcovers in mountainous catchments of Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan
- An appraisal of mountainous catchment characteristics in Upper Indus Basin Pakistan
- A comparative assessment of different methods for identification of inhomogeneities and change point in climatic data of Upper Indus Basin Pakistan
- An appraisal of recent hydrology of mountainous catchments of Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan
- Assessment of ecotourism potential and sustainable management of natural resources in and around Kallar Kahar Lake
- Assessment of land use Potential and their management of Dera Murad Jamali Distt Nasir Abad Baluchistan
- Ecotourism potential and its role for sustainable development and livelihood in Hunza, Gilgit Baltistan
- Impact of socio-economic conditions of Atta bad disaster on the local community
- spatial variations in Trans-boundary rivers flows of Pakistan
- Physiochemical and bacteriological analysis of drinking water and water born diseases in Murree and Guliat, Foothill of Himalayas
- climate change impact on the forest cover, Swat River Basin, Northern Pakistan
- Potential on Green Economy towards Sustainability and Poverty Alleviation in Hindukush Himalaya HKH region Swat Pakistan
- Assessment spatial/temporal variability on the physico-chemical properties of soil for sustainable land use development of Nowshera district
- Hydraulic modeling for Flood Hazard assessment and its mapping in Kabul River Pakistan
- Assessment of Land Use Potential For Sustainable Agriculture Development, Dour River basin KPK, Pakistan
- Land Resource Management for Food Security in Quetta Valley Balochistan
- Impact of climate extremes on hydrological extremes under changing climate in Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan
- Physicochemical analysis of soil and water for sustainable land use planning, Neelum River Basin, AJK Pakistan.
- An appraisal of hydrological drought under changing climate in Upper Indus Basin, Pakistan
- Integrated Tourism Concepts, a way towards Sustainable Development in Karakorum-Pakistan
- SWOT analysis towards willingness to pay for ecotourism as resources conservation at soon valley, Pakistan
- Climate change and its impact on landuse and streamflow in Pothwar region, Pakistan
- SWOT modeling for land degradation and its impacts on socio-economic scenario, Muzaffarabad, Azad Jammu and Kashmir
- Integrated Database Management System for Disasters along southern front of Hamalya
- Evaluation of eco-tourism as a tool of sustainable Development In Neelum Valley"
- Hazards and Vulnerability Mapping of (M2) and highway (N75), Punjab, Pakistan
Research Project (PU Funded)
- Ecotourism for sustainable community development and natural resources management in SATOYAMA perspective in Salt Range-Pakistan
- Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture Land Resources for Sustainable Land use Planning of South Western Balochistan, Pakistan
- An appraisal of glaciers dynamics under changing climate in Upper Indus Basin-Pakistan
- Impact of solid waste dumping sites on soil and groundwater quality: A comparative study
- Climate change potential threats to food security in foot hills of Siwalik Range: Pakistan
- Hydro-climatic variability and climate change acceleration in mountainous catchments (a case study Upper Indus Basin).
- An appraisal of climate change impacts on the hydrology of the mountainous catchment, Upper Indus Basin Pakistan.
- Soils of Pakistan
- Zameen ke Shanakhat
- Geography of Pakistan
Proposed International conference
Proposed International conference on Mountain conservation and watershed management challenges and issues, April, 2013
| TEACHING AND RESEARCH FACILITIES
The Centre has several laboratory facilities, which are well equipped with technical equipments to conduct basic and applied research. A brief description of each research laboratory and facility is given below.
|Soil Reclamation Lab
Soil Reclamation Laboratory is well equipped with instruments used for physical and chemical analyses of soils, waters and plants such as pH, Electrical Conductivity (EC), soluble salts (CO 3 , HCO 3 , Cl, SO 4 , Ca, Mg, Na), Macro Nutrients (NPK), Organic matters, Calcium Carbonate and textural analyses. Recommendations for soil reclamation will be carried out on the basis of physical and chemical properties of soils.
|Water Quality Lab
Water Quality Laboratory has been established in the CIMR to analysis of different water quality parameters. It has three main sections i.e. Microbiological Analysis Section, Chemical Analysis Section and Wastewater Analysis Section. This laboratory is well equipped with different equipments such as Flame Photo meter, Multi Ion Meter, Turbidity Meter, pH meters, Electrical conductivity meters etc.
Environmental lab helps in the pollution prevention as air, water and noise testing. As a result of these tests, various remedies can be suggested to reduce the environmental issues. The purpose of this lab is to make the students aware of the dangerous effects of environmental pollution. Environmental laboratory is well equipped with equipments related to the air, water and noise pollution.
|CIMR Meteorological Observatory/Lab
The meteorological observatory has been established with the assistance of Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) to record the data of various weather variables for research and other purposes. The observatory is well equipped with instruments used for measurement of maximum & minimum temperature, rainfall, evaporation, humidity, dew point, grass/soil temperature, wind speed and direction. The instrument are Grass Maximum Thermometer, Grass Minimum Thermometer, Dry-bulb and Wet-bulb Thermometer, Soil / grass thermometer, Rain Gauge (automatic and Non-Automatic), Evaporation Pan, Anemometer, Wind Vane. The data is being used by the researches of the Centre for research assignments.
|Experimental and Field Research stations
The Centre is having an Experimental Station covering an area of 5 canals and a Field Stations at Khanspur, KPK with necessary field laboratories, reference literature and data processing unit, including drawing and drafting, photography and photo-copying services, besides facilities for holding seminars, group meetings and training workshops as well as residential facilities. The Khanspur Campus of the Punjab University now named as the Sir Syed Campus, having a unique field facility in the country to support study tours, field research projects and skill promoting workshops. Research Stations are being developed for the faculty and students, which will be used for research purposes, leading to Diploma, M.Sc. M.Phil and PhD thesis. Different field equipments are also available in the Centre for field investigation.
No one can refute the importance of computers as a tool for self-directed learning, research, exploratory and collaborative project work. The Institutional computer laboratory is equipped with 20 computers connected with internet. The facility is available to students and teaching staff five days a week from 8.00 am- 6.00 pm. Various office and computational softwares for hydrologic, river system, soil salinity, watershed modeling, remote sensing, GIS etc. are available for research. Computer language programming facilities available include FORTRAN, C++, Basic etc. Computer lab is also facilitated with multimedia projector.
Centre is fully equipped with modern audio-visual equipment. Multimedia projectors, automated screens, documents cameras, overhead projectors, and audio system help in making great presentations both for the presenters as well as the audience.
The Centre library is one of the best in Pakistan on mountain resources conservation, development and management. The library has a large collection of books, technical encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, standards, year books and reference material related to all disciplines of the Centre. Newspapers and Magazines are regularly received in the library to upgrade students' general knowledge. In addition, proceedings of international seminars and publications of international agencies, such as ASCE, MRD, FAO, WWF, ICIMOD, UNESCO, WMO, World Bank etc. are available
| FOREIGN ACADEMIC LINKAGES
- International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Nepal
- The University of Tübingen, Germany
- Stockholm University, Sweden
- Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia
- International Development Research Centre, Canada,
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), India
- “UNESCO CHAIR” Community Education in Mountain Conservation and Watershed Management (CEMCWM)
- UN Partnership for Satoyama Initiative (IPSI), Japan
| NATIONAL INSTITUTIONAL LINKAGES
- Glacier Monitoring Research Station (GMRC),WAPDA
- Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources (PCRWR)
- Climate Change, Alternate Energy and Water Resources Institute (CAEWRI), National Agricultural Research Centre (NARC)
- Soil And Water Conservation Research Institute (SAWCRI),Chakwal
- Pakistan Meteorological Department, Lahore.
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Islamabad
- Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO)
- Forest Department, Gilgit Baltistan
- Environmental Protection Department (EPD), Govt. of the Punjab, Lahore.
- National Engineering Services Pakistan (NESPAK), Lahore.
- PCSIR, Lahore