Paper – II
Muslim Political Thought
The major purpose of this course is to acquaint the students with the major political concepts of Islam. The structural and functional aspect of Islamic polity the writings of some prominent Muslim thinkers and with the prospects related to the application of Islamic principles in modern times.
1. Political concepts of Islam
a. Islamic concept of state: Islamic State – Islam and Islamic Polity: Nature of Islamic sphere of Theocracy-Democratic ideals
b. Concept of Sovereignty and its implication
c. Islamic Law its sources, Place of Ijtihad in Islamic Law-Constitutional Law, Personal , Muslim International Law and characteristics
d. Concept of Millat and positions of religious minorities in Islamic State.
e. Concept of Liberty and Fundamental Human Rights in Islam
f. Principles of Social and economic justice in Islam. A comprehensive view with reference to modern secular ideologies.
2. Traditional Institutions, their organization and procedural form in a modern environment.
Note: These aspects are to be discussed with reference to different view points regarding Islamic Provisions expressed at different stages of constitution making in Pakistan.
a) Khilafat – Theory and Practice, Principles underlying the institution, grounds of political obligations - form of government in modern Islamc state
b) As Shura – its significance - views regarding its god in form: organizational and procedural
c) Al Ghazali
d) Ibn Khaldoon
e) Shah Wali Ullah
|Credit hours/ Marks:- -|
1. Allama M. Iqbal, Reconstruction of Religious thought in Islam
2. Khurshid Ahmad (ed) Islamic Law and Constitution
3. Dr. M. Hameed Ullah, Muslim Conduct of State
4. Ameer Ali, Spirit of Islam
5. Muhammad Asad, The Principels of State and Government in Islam
6. T.W. Arnold, The Cliphate
7. Rosenthaul, Political in Medieval Islam
8. T.W Arnold, The Principles of Islam
9. P.U. Lahore, International Islamic Collequium (1957-58)
10. Hussain, Arab Admin.
11. Ibn Khaldun, The Maqqadimah, trans. By Rosenthal Vol. I
12. Hussaini, S.A.Q. The Constitution of Arab Empire
13. Sherwani. H.K. Studies in Early Muslim Political Thought and Admin.
14. Hasan Perveen Feroze, The Political Philosophy of Iqbal
15. Maulana Syed Abul Ala Maududi, Islamic State
16. Muhammad Hameed Ullah
17. ALleem Ullah Siddiqui
18. Hami ul Ansar- i-Ghazi
19. Rashid Ahmad, Muslim Political Thoughts
20. Hamid Ullah,
Will be updated soon